You answered the call, now it’s time to TAKE ACTION FOR RACIAL JUSTICE!
Nearly 200 people attended the Summit on Race Matters in Appalachia last November. 40 community leaders got trained at the Undoing Racism workshop in April. 40 students were educated about structural racism at the first ever WV Freedom School this summer, and over 150 people attended the Call to Action for Racial Justice event in June where a lot of inspired ideas were generated.
Take Action for Racial Justice
Tuesday, November 3rd
5:30 – 7:30pm
West Virginia State University
Wilson Student Union
Take Action for Racial Justice will be an opportunity to JOIN A TEAM that is working on a racial justice issue, such as reducing racial disparities in arrests in Charleston, Second Chance Employment Act + Let Me Drive, Let Me Work (both criminal justice reforms), juvenile justice reform, West Side/East End reinvestment, and racial justice dialogue and education.
What you can do RIGHT NOW!
1) SPREAD THE WORD. Forward this email to your contacts, go to the Facebook event and attend, post, share!
2) JOIN A TEAM! If there’s a team you would like to join in advance of the event OR if you are unable to attend on Nov 3rd, please contact Takeiya Smith at TRSmith@afsc.org with what team you are interested in joining and she will get you connected with the team leaders!
3) SPONSOR THE EVENT! If you would like to be a sponsor of this event, please contact Lida Shepherd.
4) Visit the brand new Race Matters in WV website, created with grant funding from the WV Humanities Council and support from the WV Center on Budget and Policy. If there is something you would like listed or included on this newly developing site, please contact Tara Martinez.
5) Register to attend the Summit on Race Matters in Appalachia happening on November 10th and 11th in Lewisburg.